Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Love Affair With Porcelain

I hope you don't mind, but I have a few more photos than usual in this post. As my title reads, I have a love affair with porcelain. I can't go shopping without "dashing to the dishes". I'm sure one of the reasons I have so many is because I like a different setting at almost every meal. I am not fond of cooking (although my food tastes very good!) and figure if I am going to cook, I want it to look nice... These are green glass with fine ribbing. By the way, you will find out that I LOVE GREEN.....
These are my Christmas plates with silver rims and snowflakes. I also collect Crystal, and what a table setting these dishes make. I will post my Christmas table picture soon. Lots of candles lit, good food, and loving family.

Here are my 2nd favorite every day plates. The color is a light sage color with ribbing and dots. My daughter was buying these in white, and I fell in love. Glad she doesn't mind me copying her. She is good like that.
I don't know if I told you, but last week was a grand opening here of Hobby Lobby! This was one of my purchases from there. I sure thought it fit the season. I love platters. They're so great to decorate with besides storing large amounts of food.

This a a close up of the platter. I purchased the salt and pepper shaker too. The little dish looked good to hold some glitter covered baby pumpkins that must have been soaked in cinnamon. Boy did the kitchen smell great!!

The next two photos are my absolute FAVORITES! Several years ago, I was visiting my son who lives in Ventura, California. Well, I was shopping one day and came across these green rose transfer ware in a small quaint little side store there. If you can believe it, I lugged about 20 lbs. of these dishes on the airplane flight back home. They had shipping, but I was so worried something might happen to the tea set, I hauled them through lax airport. After of few hours, 20 lbs. felt like 200... Who does that?

These are so pretty, I serve with these the most! Even for picnics outside. They cheer me up every time I see them. Larry, the man in my life, used to think it was silly to go to so much work to set a table. Now, I think he really likes it. Who wouldn't enjoy a tasty dinner with candles and these pretty plates?

I use these on the stove as spoon holders. Naturally they're green. I have so many more plates and bowls and platters, it's hard to keep up. I know I don't need this many, but it sure is fun for me to shop for them. Guess we all have our weaknesses huh?


9 comments:

Chris said...

Hooray for Hobby Lobby! Glad you have one now! I can't choose which set I love the most--they're all gorgeous!

Angela said...

I would have probably done the same thing with those transferware dishes! Those are too beautiful to take a chance with shipping!
And I'm lovin' that autumn platter--how I wish I had a Hobby Lobby!

Anonymous said...

I don't see a thing wrong with having more dishes than you can find shelf space for...... I need more storage for my dishes but that only would require more pretties!!! Your dishes are lovely. Keep collecting!!! Have a great week. Barbara

Leslie said...

I love dishes too. The only thing that keeps me from buying more is lack of storage.

Sarah said...

I love your Christmnas dishes the best. :) I wish I had a Hobby Lobby!

Mandi Shandi said...

I love your daughter's blog, so I am so excited to follow yours as well. I love all the pictures! Keep up the good work!

Heather said...

Those pear dishes are great!

CindyLou said...

Barbara, I NEED to know who makes the green transferware! I am in love! They would be perfect for me!
I love all your porcelain! For some reason at the age of 47 I now love dishes and crystal! Have a good day! I enjoy your blog!

ocm said...

Way to blog! Great dishes too...my love is tea cups and saucers :)